Sunday, March 13, 2011

Parliament Update!

Last Friday, March 4 my parents were guests in the Parliamentary Gallery in Ottawa while Pierre Lemieux spoke about an award I was given, last November, from The Historica Dominion's Art From Memory Challenge.
Unfortunately I couldn't make it to attend also (a bit of a long walk from New Brunswick), but my parents stood in my place.  They had an absolutely wonderful time, and were taken to lunch in the Member's Cafe by Mr Lemieux and his assisstant.  They also had a tour of parliament that included the library and my mom said it was just amazing!
I watched his speech live on CPAC on my lunch break between classes and am not ashamed to say I burst into tears when he acknowledged my parents.  I have nothing but the utmost respect for Mr. Lemieux.  He spoke so well and is just such an all around classy guy.  I'll post a video of the event (the whole 1 minute!) as soon as I receive it.
This was such a huge honour and highlight of my career.  I should have thrown caution to the wind and just found a way to make it home, but oh well! Life lesson learned - sometimes you just need to be spontaneous and go for it!
A big thank you so much to everyone who helped make this happen, it was just so touching and exciting!
Mr. Lemieux (left) with my parents (middle & right) in the Member's Cafe

No comments: