Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Rachel Mac in Parliament!

Today is a day of decisions.  Anyone who knows me knows I'm not the best at decision making, even in the easiest of circumstances, so when a tough decision comes up, it can be agonizing!  I always worry that I'm going to make the wrong decisions, or somehow wind up disappointing someone.
So - the decision at hand.  Thanks to the amazing support of my family and community our MP from Glengarry, Prescott, Russel is using his 1 minute to speak in Federal Parliament on Friday to speak about my work and a piece I had won a national award for from the Historica Dominion Institute's Art From Memory Challenge.  It was a piece I created that was inspired by the testimonial of a very inspiring WWII veteran from NS.  (And yes, I just used inspired and inspiring in the same sentence.  Sometimes there's no other word).
Anyway, the question is - do I go home tomorrow to be with my parents in the Parliamentary Gallery and then join them with our MP Pierre Lemieux takes them out to lunch at the Member's Cafe?!  I am a huge geek, and to have lunch at the Member's Cafe would just be the coolest thing ever!  Or, do I play it responsible like and stay put in Fredericton and get my work done?
What this has boiled down to is me, hovering over the Air Canada website, refreshing my flight search ever 2 minutes to see if a flight has opened up (it being March Break, all flights are booked).  If an affordable flight opens, I'll throw caution to the wind and take it.  If a $1024 flight opens up (as happened an hour ago) I'll will laugh at the thought of paying that and hit my refresh search button.  If no flight comes available, I will decide it just wasn't meant to be.
Keep your fingers crossed for me! (Although I'm not sure for which outcome you should cross your fingers.) 
You can watch Mr. Lemieux on CPAC (channel 512 for some providers) sometime between 11 & 11:15 am this Friday, March 4.
This is the piece, titled "Security Blanket" which will be discussed.

Stay tuned for an upload of the broadcast (hopefully).
Pierre Lemieux's website which might have photos or video after the event
National Post article about "Security Blanket" piece

1 comment:

Jackie said...

I should have taken the $1000 flight! Make the buggers pay! Oh wait! Did it go through Toronto? To scared!