Thursday, March 24, 2011

Side Projects: Postcard Exchange

As part of my program at NBCCD I started working with a mentor a couple months ago.  We meet generally once a week, talk about where my work is going, and look at advancements in her work (she's currently putting together a show to exhibit in November).  I help her with some sewing and cutting, etc and she helps completely open up my brain to new possibilities!  Often she has artists for me to look into or concepts to read about.  But often, it's just through seeing her work and processes that I find myself opening up to trying very new things.

The latest new thing is working with embossing, as well as pastels.  I've always avoided pastels because although I love the look of them, I can't handle the feeling on my fingers (same reason I avoid ceramics).  However, my mentor lent me some supplies and encouraged me to experiment.  Sure enough, a couple weeks later I was buying up all the colours that really turned me on.

I also started using our press at the college for embossing doilies (thank you flea market!) onto heavy papers, and fell in LOVE with the result.

As far as drawing on papers, however, I've always felt insecure about my abilities in the fine motor skills area so I don't draw, or play around with colour on paper.  One of the things I've learnt though, is that I need to just start giving myself permission to make marks, and if they're not perfect, just make more, and if I don't like those... well, who cares?  It's experimenting, and playing, and we all need some of that in every aspect of our lives.

To put these principals at work, I've been pushing myself to take part in group efforts that involve media I'm not totally comfortable with.  These included the Gallery Connexions Artist Trading Card Event (organized by fellow NBCCD student Monica Lacey), the Brooklyn Art Library Sketch Book Project, and now the Alberta Printmakers 4th Annual Postcard Exhibition & Exchange.

These are my results; some, of course, I like more than others.  I think some are interesting or have potential to be digitized and printed on cloth, or for more exploration.  Some, I feel a little more meh about.  But, all in all, I want to continue to push myself to do these little things because even if it's not my preferred way to work, I always discover something that I bring back to my practice. 
Alberta Printmakers Society Postcard Exchange (Calgary)
Gallery Connexion First Annual Trading Card Event (Fredericton)
Monica Lacey's wesbite
Art House Co-op Sketchbook Project (Brooklyn)











No comments: