Sunday, May 22, 2011

2010-2011 Advanced Diploma Summary

One of the things we need to do for end of school year is meet with outside assessors, show them our work, our progress, and our lifeplan and they can let us know if we have an idea of what's going on or if we're completely deluded. 
As prep, Cragio wants us to visually summarize what we did over the year and attach it to our blog...

So...... here goes! My challenge to myself: to not write a novel here! *deep breath* and GO!!
The semester started with me helping our AVA staff dequill a porcupine (unfortunately hit on the road, poor lil guy)

Next I worked on a submission for the Historica-Dominion Art From Memory Challenge, and created a piece inspired by the testimonials of this amazing gentleman, Fraser Muir, as well as the memory of my Great Uncle Dougal.
 

My submission, "Security Blanket". Photo credit to Jeff Crawford.
 
Detail shot (Jeff Crawford)

After that was all done I was experiencing a bit of a void: What should I do now? So I worked on sampling new techniques.  Featured here is dyeing with oatmeal resists.
 
Maritime Spinner's retreat in PEI.  Learned a valuable lesson on how important it is to take some time off!


100% NB fleece, washed & dyed with natural dyes, all ready to felt into a rug.
Experiment for possible made-to-order product, doubling as my sister's Xmas gift.

Detail shot of finished rug.

At about this time I decided my one of a kind work was getting shallow, I wasn't thinking things through, just making things for the sake of making.  I took a step back and spent a few weeks designing and really thinking out what I thought of as a show of 5 -6 major pieces that worked together.  (Realized later that was a lot to ask of myself, and they weren't as well resolved as I thought.  A LOT of learning happened this year!)

But also (to keep busy) I...
...took part in a bunch of craft shows, in late fall/ early winter with production lines.  Realized it wasn't my thing, and that I just wanted to concentrate on teaching & one of a kind, gallery work.

 In Nov I had work shown at the Owens Art Gallery in Sackville, as part of a reception for award winners from the NBFA.  I was fortunate to be granted a scholarship in memory of Nel Oudemans, a legendary local weaver, and got to meet her lovely husband Jack Oudemans.  He made my night.

More to come after the jump!

The good news came in early December that not only was my piece, "Security Blanket" one of 10 finalists for the Art From Memory Challenge, but I had won the national prize!  I can't even express how fortunate I felt (and still feel) and how much that meant to me!  Pictured here with Davida Aronovitch and Anne Seignot from Historica Dominion.

In January of 2011 I started mentoring with an amazing local artist, Paula Keppie.
 To try and get over my blocks regarding making marks on paper, I pushed myself to take part in group projects where I would have to do just that (including The Brooklyn Art Library Sketchbook Project, and the Alberta Printmaking Society Postcard Exchange).  That also inspired me to learn to use an embossing press.


Once again in February, I attend the Atlantic Craft Trade Show in Halifax.  My scarves are shown in the middle of NBCCD's disply above.  Decided for certain that production was not for me, but also met some wonderful people who I learned a lot from, attended a session on online networking, had some great beers with Craiger and classmates, saw an old friend,and got to check out some Halifax galleries (not to mention getting new tea from David's!).  All in all, amazing and I wish I could go every year!

"Security Blanket" had a very exciting Parliamentary mention in Ottawa by our local MP (and classy fellow) Pierre Lemieux.  Ma & Pa got wined & dined in the Parliamentary Cafe!  I watched it on CPAC from New Brunswick and burst into tears! Happy tears.


Although I had an amazing year, a lot of my most important learning came from failing.  One of the most meaningful realizations came when I was bound & determined to put in an application for a Creation Grant for April 1.  Through that process I realized the difference between my "student work" and what I see for my professional practice.  It really helped me to narrow down and define how I see myself working and what my work means.  In the end, I didn't apply as student applications were not accepted, but I also learned why, and what I need to do to be prepared for the next deadline.  It was a defining lesson for me.  Above is a piece I did last year, that I think was the beginning of me developing my own language, but still was a piece that was a response to an assignment.

Digital printing became a large part of my work this year, and learning new processes.  Also, I narrowed my grand plans down to two pieces I felt I could really push.  Above is a detail shot of old highschool letters printed on fabric, for a quilt that's in progress.

Working on my second grad piece, "Ghost of a Memory", using photochemical transfer.

Got myself the best photographer ever, Jeff Crawford, and finished my first grad piece!  So satisfying!

Still pursuing mark making (no matter how uncomfortable it makes me) but also how to blend it with the tools I'm comfortable with.  So many new inspirations, so much to do, such exciting possibilities!

4 comments:

ReBecca P said...

Well done Rachel! Even though I have heard (and seen) parts of everything threw out the year it does make a difference to have it laid out in a visual format.

Daniel said...

Rachel very impressive. It's great to see everything you have accomplished while you have been out East. You make us all proud!

Jackie said...

You HAVE been busy! It is nice to see everything laid out! And I really like how much the people involved meant to you. It comes through loud and clear.

Rachel Anne said...

Thank you so much for all the support and kind words. Dan - you almost made me cry. I miss you guys!

Jackie - I am SO LUCKY to have so many amazing people in my life (yourself included!)