Sunday, May 1, 2011

The World Around Us: Oritsunagumono by Takayuki Hori

I know a couple people who do some origami (and by some, I mean lots) so sometimes I steal origami info from them.  This popped up on facebook and holy crow, it blew my mind.
Please check out these two websites.  This work takes an ancient and traditional technique and just COMPLETELY reinvents it, but doesn't disrespect it (if that makes sense to anyone but me).  These works tell stories, and give us a warning (the subjects are endangered animals) but it's a warning that is SO beautiful to look at, and absorbing.
One more statement on this work - I think my favourite part is the installation: it's not just the finished works, it also shows part of the process - a copy of the material before it was finished.  Context, my friends.  I've origamied here and there, but without seeing the unfolded transparencies I never would have thought of how well planned they must have been to have worked.  Great art can make things look easy, but great installation can be an education on the process and, in my opinion, process is the soul of the work.  Corny as this is: like life, art is a journey, not a destination.

Want your mind blown?  Check out Takayuki Hori's work here on Spoon and Tamago's Blog and here Colossal Art & Design.


Images taken from Spoon & Tamago.  Also check out Colossal Art & Design.